Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Poppa Mike

I don't even know where to begin in describing how much we miss Poppa Mike. The above picture is from Tyson's 1st birthday party on December 20, 2008.  Tyson is holding Poppa Mike's reading glasses stolen from his pocket. This is the first thing he would look for when Poppa Mike would pick him up. Momma Chris gave Tyson a set of those glasses to keep. THANK YOU MOMMA CHRIS! 

I am sure everyone knows at this time, but some people have asked for details...this is all I will say. Poppa Mike was with us on Wednesday morning (April 8th)...he was complaining of indigestion...Momma Chris took him to the hospital and he had a massive heart attack at the hospital. The family has NO history of anything health related and Poppa Mike never showed any signs. He just had a positive physical prior to this. Those who know Poppa Mike well know that he was probably one of the STRONGEST and HEALTHIEST men they knew. The team was able to bring him back...Scott, Momma Chris, & Misty were blessed with TIME on Wednesday where Poppa Mike was responsive and FULLY understood how much everyone loves him. This is something that I know the whole family is holding on to. By the next morning Poppa Mike was septic. Although I was at the hospital during his second procedure I did not get to see him because he passed away less that 24 hours of entering the hospital doors. I could go into greater detail about what they did...but the fact of the matter is everyone did absolutely EVERYTHING they could...and we are all so thankful for that. Does it make any sense? Absolutely NOT!!! But I have been amazed at the strength of the family...MY FAMILY...that I have been blessed with.  We all know that God has had his hand in this from the beginning...so many people have told us about conversations/random phone calls/and encounters they were blessed with just days and weeks prior with Poppa Mike. God prepares our hearts...

Scott and I have had many conversations about my Mom since we have met each other...I told Scott after losing my mother 12 years ago...I was SO blessed...I have always known this...that God GAVE ME TIME...I knew for 14 months that she would not be with us. Does it make it easier to lose a parent? NO...but it is a BLESSING!!! Time is a BLESSING!!!! I never wanted my family to feel this kind of hurt and for ANYTHING I would take it ALL away...but we all know that God will bring us through this. He is already showing us blessings in the lives of other people. God spoke to people through the life of Poppa Mike. Was he perfect...NO WAY!!! None of us are...but he LOVED LIFE! and he never took time for granted...the man NEVER STOPPED...and he loved his family more than anything in the world...but more importantly he loved the LORD first and foremost. 

Poppa Mike and I had music in common...and God has blessed me with HEARING HIS VOICE when I hear songs on the radio...or I have a song in my heart...when we are telling stories...I can HEAR that infectious laugh. HE WAS SO LOUD!!!!  ha ha ha  While staying with Momma Chris I had a hard time in the mornings because I used to get up early (pre-Tyson) and sit in the living room with Poppa Mike and drink coffee and solve all the worlds problems....the man could talk...and I loved to hear his stories. He shared his heart. I wish I would have gotten up early EVERY morning.

As for our boys...Scott & I will have to live our lives so that our boys ALWAYS know who Poppa Mike & Momma were. I hope that they have met each other now...I have a feeling that Poppa Mike has been telling her stories about her grandson. He has probably talked her ear off by now...but I hope he gets to see her beautiful smile.  

Our hearts are sad...Cherish your TIME!!! and don't waste it...we have to live each day like it is our last...because we never know what life is going to bring our way. 

Tyson will soon be a big brother. Our 2nd baby boy is due July 16th. Scott and I decided to name him after Poppa Mike. So our new baby boy will be Michael Gather Bartlett. No, that's right...it's Gaither...but spelled wrong...kind of like Jeanifer...I have already shared my thoughts with the family about this name...Gather (when spelled correctly) means "a goat herder"...thanks a lot Bartletts...I can hear Poppa Mike laughing right now!" So "Baby Mike" is on his way...and we can't wait to see his beautiful face!!  
"Thank you Jesus for your many blessings. I am so thankful that Poppa Mike is not hurting anymore. Selfishly I wish he was still here...humanly I am very sad...and sometimes angry...but I know that you have a plan that is bigger than us.  Help me to be the woman you have called me to be and to love my husband & family the way you intended me to...I so badly want to take this pain away. Please shower Momma Chris, Scott, Misty & Michael, Lane, Landon, KiKi, Tyson, Grandma Bartlett, Aunt Melinda, Uncle Noel...and the rest of the extended family with PEACE in their hearts...SLEEP...and many many happy memories."



3 comments:

Rachel said...

I just read this sweet post and I am in tears. What a great way to pay tribute to Pappa Mike. Obviously I never met him, but through your stories I know how blessed you were to have him in your life. I am sure after reading about him he felt the same way about you. I am sure he will be smiling down on you when Baby Mike enters the world. I wish I had words to take away the pain.

All American Family said...

So I'm sitting at my computer crying...there are no words that can take the hurt away right now. As I was reading this post I was thinking about the day your Mom died. I remember just like it was yesterday getting the call from Jon that she passed away. I can still hear his voice in my head telling me. My heart broke into a million pieces for you and all of your family. Now your father-in-law...I never had the privilege of knowing him, but it sounds like he was a wonderful man. My heart is hurting again for my friends.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal." ~From a headstone in Ireland

Misty said...

Jean you are such a blessing to our family and to remember daddy with such a loving tribute...you know I am tears right now... Daddy was larger than life and we were blessed to know him...it's still surreal to think we won't ever hear his laugh but we will meet again...I am rambling but I wanted to thank you for such a beautiful post.